Bring your childhood memories to your family for years to come.

3.17.2011

All Things Green

When I think of March 17th I think of the color green.  Why do I associate the color green with March 17th?  Well...it is St. Patrick's Day and he was from Ireland, the Emerald Isle, you are to wear green or you get pinched, "kiss me I'm Irish" is the saying of day, the cabbage for corned beef and cabbage is green before you cook it.  These are just a few of the reasons why I associate green with St. Patrick's Day. But really green reminds me of one more tradition we have as a family that went a little overboard.  

Birthday's are a special time in my family now and growing up.  There are four of us kids in my family.  Two of us in January and two in September.  The tradition of double birthdays has continued with my kids.  We have 5 wonderful kids and two are in December, two in April and one in June.  We are not going to tempt fate and see if we can have one more in June.  No more babies on the horizon for us.  

Growing up we were allowed to pick out our birthday dinner.  My favorite dinner is stuffed flank steak, broccoli casserole and carrot cake.  My mom still makes this for me today.  Love you mom!  Here enters the green...my sisters decided to help make dad's birthday dinner.  I am not sure of all the dinner choices but I do remember the gravy for the mashed potatoes.  They decided that since dad's favorite color was green they were going to make the gravy green.  Let me tell you that green gravy is just not very appetizing.  To this day we still joke about the green gravy and threats have been made to color the gravy at other family gatherings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment